Thursday 15 May 2014

A Sunny Morning Walk

Hello Lovelies,
 after the boys were all safely at school yesterday I headed out on a two hour walk, so happy that the sun was shining as I passed familiar sights...........


And peeked through gaps in leafy green hedges...........


Along the verges tiny wild geraniums flowered...........


Wandering along a quiet lane I noticed the Oak trees are now full of leaves ............


Where as the Ash trees are still only just coming into bud............


I spotted a foot path that looked intriguing and pushed open the gate to explore further...........


The path led me past tumble down sheds...........


And pretty blue Alkanet still wet with dew............


Then I came across some steps.............


Which passed this mysterious round tower...........


then through a pretty wooded area..............

It was in top of an embankment. The path was so slippery from all the rain we have had lately I was a little afraid of sliding down its steep sides.

I was above the rooftops and I'm sure there is a good view from here in the winter...........


I had been looking at Ordinance Survey maps of my local area ( If you are in the U.K. you can find them free to view online HERE.....enter your post code and then change the map type in the drop down box)

I knew roughly where the footpaths were marked, but its often still tricky to find your way in unfamiliar areas.

Thankfully my detour came out near where I was hoping to explore and it was quiet a relief to have a good surface to head along for a while.............


 Then the path crossed a grassy area.............


And I was thankful for the clearly marked post showing me the way into a field..............


Across that field there was another gate and I smiled at the addition of bale twine to this gate with a perfectly good catch..............


How lovely, a natural pond.........a haven for wildlife I'm sure................


Walking briskly along this track I felt happy to be discovering new places and getting some exercise, but mostly I just felt glad to be able to get out into the countryside and enjoy such a beautiful morning .........


The sky was so pretty and here there was a great view towards the distant city..............


A Hare suddenly dashed out of the undergrowth right beside me. He sped off so quickly he was just a speck by the time I took this photo...........

 You might be able to spot him if you click on the photo to enlarge it.

Up until now the route had been pretty clear, but here I was confused............


The newly painted post showed a route up the side of this field, between the hedge and the electric fence, but it was so overgrown............


I tried walking it for a while but it was very difficult, with thistles scratching my legs and wet grass soaking my shoes.

In the end I decided to try a different route, but not before said hello to the lambs............


I always love to see sheep.............


Here the path was clearly marked through the middle of an arable field..............it seemed a shame the farmer had to chop down some of  his crop to make this path..............

 I wouldn't have minded walking around the edge.

I had been walking for about one and a half hours by this point and I was feeling a bit hot in the May sunshine............


I was heading towards a farm and the path wasn't marked here so I just had to walk through the farmyard and hope I wasn't trespassing.............


It was a lovely walk , if a bit confusing at times.....at the end I was happy to get back on familiar streets and relax, confident of my direction.

The Lilac bushes are so beautiful at the moment and I wish you could smell their scent lovelies, it really is gorgeous............


I lingered here a while, taking pictures, but also thinking how fortunate I am. I feel blessed in so many ways.

I have a wonderful family and the health to be able to get out and explore.

As I get older my priorities increasingly seem to be to live a simple life that gives me the time to slow down and appreciate the beauty that is all around us, but which we often don't really notice............


When I got near to home I met an old gentleman who had muddy footwear and his jumper tied around his waist, just like me. We chatted happily about our walks and he recommended some routes I haven't explored yet......it was a lovely, friendly end to my solo walk.

Jacquie x



23 comments:

  1. What a lovely walk, We go walking from OS maps, but I don't think I would trust myself to go alone for fear of getting lost!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful, your walk looks beautiful, I feel better just for hearing about it and seeing your lovely pictures. Yesterday was glorious wasn't it, and today looks just as good. I spotted the hare, lucky you, I've never seen one. The lilacs are stunning at the moment aren't they, I always like to stop and look. Glad you're having a good week and feeling happy with life. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once again a beautiful walk, I felt I was walking with you. The lilac was stunning just wish I could smell it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my kind of like how my daughter and I walk - 'ooh look a public footpath sign, let's see where it takes us'. As it's mainly in our local area we haven't got lost yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to leave the well known pathes! This is certainly one of the best things about moving to a new city last year: I know hardly any of the walks yet and there is something new to explore all the time!

    The liliac bushes are stunning! They aren't in full flower over here yet but I certainly looking forward to it!

    Take care
    Anne

    http://crochetbetweentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful time of year - all fresh greenness and pretty blossom. I do love lilac & really must plant a bush in my own garden so that I can pick some to bring indoors. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could almost smell the lilac. It looks a really lovely walk. More sunshine to help us smile today too. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jacquie - thank you a million times over for the link to ordinance maps - I have been looking for something like this for ages. I know that there are numerous walks off our local park but have never been able to find actual footpaths. Now I know exactly where to look :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing this lovely walk. Your photos are just beautiful as is your countryside.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jacquie - you always manage to make me feel I've been able to join you on your lovely walks - thanks so much for sharing. Chris xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like an amazing walk you had! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking us along, the lilacs are amazing.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's nothing like going for a good walk, finding new and exciting places on your door step. Great set of photos.
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely walk. I love your "where's the hare?" That was fun! :)
    Thanks for sharing. I'm truly envious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely looking walk to take.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for `my` lovely walk !! I managed to get to the kitchen and back with my frame to get a banana yesterday !! Not as impressive as your walk but a milestone in my knee getting stronger !! I long for some fresh air, sunshine and a gentle breeze on my skin.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oak before ash, we're in for a splash.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love lilacs!!! They're beautiful and smell gorgeous! I can't wait for their blossoms to arrive here in Sweden..! Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely post :) It's great to get more inspiration to go out exploring! x

    ReplyDelete
  20. How lovely that you got to stop for a chat, that is the sort of thing that makes a walk really enjoyable isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is so beautiful! I'd love to be able to take that walk, thanks to you, I feel like I have!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  22. Always great joining you on your walks xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I too love walking along country footpaths and would really miss it if I couldn't go out walking every day, especially at this time of year when everything is so green. Love the photos of the lilac.

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.