Sunday 4 October 2015

Our Derbyshire Weekend ♥ Part 3

Hello lovelies,
for our walking  weekend I had two places I particularly wanted to visit. On Saturday we had visited the first....Chatsworth house. And on Sunday we set out to visit the second. 

We drove along winding lanes, through fog in the valleys and fabulous views on the hills, till we reached the most wonderful view of all.

It's just beyond those benches....


lets peer over the wall.......


This is the famous view from MONSAL HEAD.
Wow...it is a real WOW view, looking down on the dales and the viaduct below......


Like yesterday hubby and I were here to do a circular walk. They both came from an older version of THIS book. which I picked up in a charity shop.

This walk was a seven mile route which first headed steeply down into Monsal Dale. Gosh it was chilly under these trees........


I was so glad to emerge into the sunshine. And enchanted by the beautiful sight of Monsal weir.....


The hazy light was really special.......


and the river below the weir, so pretty too............


Here out attention was grabbed by a small brown bird....can you see him, close to the far bank......


Let me zoom in a bit.......


It was the aptly named Dipper....such a lovely sight, bobbing his head or his whole body under the water looking for food........


After crossing the bridge here we gazed back at the weir for a while.......


It did look special in the low morning sunlight......


The mist was still hanging in the air and the views were hazy.............


and the sun was only just a bit higher that the towering hill to our left......


Here we left the riverside and squeezed through the gap in the stone wall..........


My navigation skills are not the best, so it's always reassuring to see a footpath sign with the name of the village you are heading for...........


and I loved the seats with sweet verses..........


Here the path climbed steeply through limestone outcrops.......


and  stopping to catch our breath, I noticed the start of Autumn colours, illuminated beautifully on this most perfect of mornings.........


Climbing up through woodland I was very happy to be wearing sturdy walking boots as we tackled the rock strewn path.......


and glad to reach the level ground, where there was an idyllic CL site , which one lucky caravanner had got totally to themselves........


The quiet lanes had beautiful views and even a few wild flowers....not bad for late September.......


Here our walk entered the quaint village of Taddington............


Hubby and I wandered along happily, stopping to visit the church yard, with it's remains of a 7th century Celtic cross..........


and envying hanging out the washing in a garden with such a spectacular view.........


The countryside around here is beautiful..........


and the distinctive shape of Fin Cop iron age hill fort was visible in the distance.........

Hubby said it looked like a whale....I could see what he meant :0)

Around here we realised we had actually drifted off course a little #got lost..........


Reading the route again I realised we should not of even walked through the village and now we were way off course. I was very pleased we had the O.S. map to guide us as not all the paths were clearly marked like this.........


Here I  noticed the contour lines were so close together there was practically no gap between them. I warned Mr BM "I think it might be a bit steep soon" ......


And golly it was. I don't think the photo gives you an impression of the gradient really.....


Like skiers on a black run we zig zaged down the steep bank.......


then huffed and puffed up the mercifully slightly less severe incline out of the valley.

We were feeling a bit tired, but relived to be back on course by this stage. As soon as we got to a spot with  a view we flopped down on the grass to eat mini muffins....rescued from the breakfast buffet :0)


The last part of the walk was mostly a level riverside wander....we were glad :0)........


It's a shame the weather had got cloudy, but the river still looked beautiful........





Here climbers were using the overhanging cliffs for practice..........


Looking up at them was enough to make me feel dizzy..........


where the river widened into a pretty mill pond  we stopped to smile at the bird life..........


And admire the views.........



The we climbed up out of the valley bottom and gazed down on the mill. My old guide book from the year 2000 has a photo of this place looking ruined, with no windows. Now it's a very desirable address......

See prices HERE 

It's certainly a stunning setting..........


The last mile was along the disused railway line which is now a very popular route for walkers, cyclists and horse riders............


The MONSAL TRAIL  had gorgeous views from the viaduct here.........



And information on the history on the railway line which ran along it till 1968......


Our route didn't actually go through any of the tunnels it's famous for........


We left the trail to climb steeply upwards again.
 Our walk had turned out to be nine miles long and very hilly. But hubby somehow found the energy for a speedy climb up these punishing steps right at the end...........


The view from the top was certainly worth the jelly legs.........


By now we were both hungry and headed for an outdoor place to sit and eat, as despite the gloom it remained very warn and still............


I loved watching the sparrows hopping about in the Honeysuckle here..........


and lots of different birds feasting at the feeders...........


And I can thoroughly recommend the toasties at  Hobb's cafe 


Soon it was time to start the drive home and rerun to being a family of five, rather than just a couple. I love my family so much, but this time for just the two of us was a delight. I'm very blessed.
Derbyshire, we love you too.

Jacquie x

19 comments:

  1. Another beautiful walk to finish you weekend as a couple, thanks for sharing all you fab photos.
    Jackie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! It made me feel like we were back on holiday. We cycled along the Monsal trail in July. That part of the world is lovely, excellent for walking and we enjoyed the pubs/tearoom stops too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about your Monsaldale walk. DH and I walked around this stunning dale many years ago now (before children) and it was truly beautiful. I remember it was the first time we had seen a dipper, we don't get them in our part of the country but have seen them many times since down in Devon. It is so good to have a weekend to yourselves occasionally isn't it, we still appreciate it now and our boys are 28 and 30! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an incredibly beautiful walk! Challenging in some places by the looks of some of the slopes and hills to be navigated, but such wonderful scenery I am sure that it was worth it. Fabulous being taken along by you, thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You must get onto a variety of Tourist Boards - you should be paid. I want to pack my bags here and now - how beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your posts one does really feel the place. Thanks for taking us along, what a beautiful walk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh I really enjoyed that, I used to live in Buxton, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What happened to the Cow......??? (from the last blog!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The farmer came and rescued it. Sorry i don't know more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous walk. We like to pick up local walk books as well. Lucky you seeing a dipper, I've never seen one, but I'm always on the lookout when we're by running water. The views are phenomenal, and I love the bench with the verse on it. What a wonderful place. So glad you both had such a lovely break. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful walk! Thanks for sharing. So nice to have time for just the two of you. The hubby and I manage a four hour out and about walk today, lucky the rain held off till we where back home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a great walk! I've walked all those routes but never as part of the same route! I have that same book though - I love Roly Smith and have loads of his books (he writes more general information as well as walk routes).

    ReplyDelete
  13. I envy your walks .living south of Paris w'd to take the crowded metro for at least an hour ,same at the end of the day which stopped me enjoying to ramble and now i don't walk so well at 78 ....y.s

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you must both be very fit to tackle all those steep inclines! That toastie was well-deserved I think!
    Must visit that part of the world soon.
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  15. What amazing scenery, your photos are fantastic. It was great to come on this gorgeous walk with you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks absolutely fantastic. Glad you enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the walk and the links to places you encountered....thanks for giving me a bit of your part of the world. Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've enjoyed traveling and walking "with" you so much! Glad you had that sweet time with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are beautiful places that we can relax and enjoy the peace. I'm thinking of sailing a boat in this lake in the next trip.
    my webblog at Online TESOL

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.