Friday 11 November 2016

A Quiet Walk in the Woods
















































I'm using up the last of my annual leave at the moment. When I asked for today off I didn't realise it was Armistice day .
It was a beautifully sunny morning and I knew wanted to get outdoors. Heading for the woods while there is still some Autumn colour seemed a good idea.
The light was misty and magical, the shafts of low sunlight illuminating the still, cold, damp air.
I loved all the pops of red in Rose hips and Hawthorn berries. When I got to the Beech glade the colours were just as stunning as they were in Padley Gorge last week. I wandered around there for a few minutes trying to take a photo that captured the beauty of all those rust coloured fallen leaves.
Further along my 5 mile circuit I was dodging puddles and trying to photograph finches. Now the branches are becoming bare I can see the birds, but they are still generally too fast for me.
At 11am exactly I stopped by a gate for two minutes, watched by a lone horse. I thought how my own 16 year old twins are blessed not to have been born a mere 100 years earlier. And how we should always remember the fate of so many mothers sons.
It was so quiet in the woods today, I only spoke to one dog walker and the riders of the two horses.
Returning home I smiled at the flowers hubby bought me earlier this week and made myself a sandwich for lunch.
I'm not sure if I have shared the poppy painting I did back in June here. If not, today seems like a very appropriate day to pop in in a blog post.
Jacquie x

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful post Jacquie and beautiful photos xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, Jacquie, with lovely photos. Elizabeth xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and lovely scenes! I really like your poppy painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful pics, I do miss Autumn in the UK, the colours and the falling leaves. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely painting, beautifully done. And such gorgeous autumn photographs, especially the horses in their clouds of steaming breath. Wishing you and yours a good weekend Jacquie. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post is an autumn treasure trove! I loved each and every one of your photos and felt so happy looking at them all. Your poppy painting is so poignant and beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend Jacquie xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your poppy painting! And very appropriate! It's hard to see the leaves that are left on the trees here for the smoke, ma-ny wildfires burning in the southern US just now from our year long severe drought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the quited walk post ,beautiful fall photo's and your poppy painting and ...... your woodstove ,years ago we got one in black
    enjoy your weekend ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fallen leaves are so beautiful, I always want to save them! perhaps photos are the best way to do this. Love your poppy painting, as you say very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fallen leaves are so beautiful, I always want to save them! perhaps photos are the best way to do this. Love your poppy painting, as you say very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't even realize that you painted too! I only knew that your mom did. It's really good... I love the depth shown in the cup of the poppies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos and your poppy painting is lovely, you have so many talents.
    Catherine
    x

    ReplyDelete

I always love to hear from you , thank you for taking the time to leave a message.